Phone: +64 9 923 86011
MBChB, DCH, DDU, MD,FRCOG, FRANZCOG, CMFM
Caroline Crowther is a maternal fetal medicine subspecialist and holds conjoint appointments with the Liggins Institute at the University of Auckland and with the School of Medicine at the University of Adelaide.
Professor Crowther aims to attain the best health and well-being possible for women and their babies through excellence and leadership in research, education and knowledge transfer.
She has extensive experience in the design, conduct and analysis of randomized clinical trials and has coordinated many large, multicentre trials that focus on the evaluation of new perinatal therapies or care practices, in collaboration with researchers in key research in New Zealand, Australia and overseas. These trials are recognized internationally for their high quality and have led to translation of the research knowledge into clinical practice guidelines, improving maternal and perinatal health worldwide. Key studies have focused on therapies to improve health outcomes related to preterm birth, multiple pregnancy, hypertensive disease, birth after caesarean and gestational diabetes.
Caroline leads the LiFePATH Group (Liggins Fetal, Perinatal and Maternal Translational Research for Lifelong Health) at The Liggins Institute and the Australasian Research Collaboration for the Health of women and babies at the University of Adelaide. She is a long standing editor within Cochrane Pregnancy and Childbirth. Her research groups focus now on synthesising research knowledge to identify best practice and research gaps, conducting clinical studies to improve the health of pregnant women and babies, especially related to preterm birth and gestational diabetes, and rapidly translating new research into clinical practice.
Selected publications – past five years:
1. Morris JM, Roberts CL, Bowen JR, Patterson JA, Bond DM, Algert CS, Thornton JG, Crowther CA. Immediate delivery compared with expectant management after preterm pre-labour rupture of the membranes close to term (PPROMT trial): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2016;387(10017):444-452. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(15)00724-2.
2. Crowther CA, Harding JE. Antenatal Glucocorticoids for Late Preterm Birth? The New England Journal of Medicine 2016;374(14):1376-1377. DOI:10.1056/NEJMe1601867.
3. Shepherd E, Middleton P, Makrides M, McIntyre SJ, Badawi N, Crowther CA. Antenatal and intrapartum interventions for preventing cerebral palsy: an overview of Cochrane systematic reviews. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD012077. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD012077.
4. Bain E, Middleton P, Crowther CA. Progressing towards standard outcomes in gestational diabetes Cochrane reviews and randomised trials. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2016;56(1):113-116. DOI:10.1111/ajo.12433.
5. Middleton P, Crowther CA, Simmonds L. Middleton P, Crowther CA, Simmonds L. Different intensities of glycaemic control for pregnant women with pre-existing diabetes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 5. Art. No.: CD008540. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD008540.pub4.
6. Martis R, Brown J, Alsweiler J, Crawford TJ, Crowther CA. Different intensities of glycaemic control for women with gestational diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD011624. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD011624.pub2.
7. Crawford TJ, Crowther CA, Alsweiler J, Brown J. Dietary supplementation with myo-inositol in women during pregnancy for treating gestational diabetes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD012048. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD012048
8. McKinlay C, Cutfield WS, Battin MR, Dalziel SR, Crowther CA, Harding JE. Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Children After Repeat Doses of Antenatal Glucocorticoids: An RCT. Paediatrics 2015;135 (2),e405-e415. DOI:10.1542/peds.2014-2408.
9. Crowther CA, McKinlay CJD, Middleton P, Harding JE. Repeat doses of prenatal corticosteroids for women at risk of preterm birth for improving neonatal health outcomes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD003935. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD003935.pub4.
10. Lassi ZS, Middleton PF, Crowther C, Bhutta ZA. Interventions to Improve Neonatal Health and Later Survival: An Overview of Systematic Reviews. EBioMedicine 2015;2(8):985-1000. DOI:10.1016/j.ebiom.2015.05.023.
11. Siwicki K, Bain E, Bubner T, Ashwood P, Middleton P, Crowther CA. Non-receipt of antenatal magnesium sulphate for fetal neuroprotection at the Women's and Children's Hospital, Adelaide 2010-2013. The Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2015;55(3):233-238. DOI:10.1111/ajo.12334.
12. Bain E, Bubner T, Ashwood P, Van Ryswyk E, Simmonds L, Reid S, Middleton P, Crowther CA. Barriers and enablers to implementing antenatal magnesium sulphate for fetal neuroprotection guidelines: a study using the theoretical domains framework. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2015;15:176 DOI:10.1186/s12884-015-0618-9.
13. Van Ryswyk EM, Middleton PF, Hague WM, Crowther CA. Postpartum SMS reminders to women who have experienced gestational diabetes to test for Type 2 diabetes: the DIAMIND randomized trial. Diabetic Medicine: a Journal of the British Diabetic Association 2015;32(6):1-9. DOI:10.1111/dme.12769.
14. Bain ES, Middleton PF, Yelland LN, Ashwood PJ, Crowther CA. Maternal adverse effects with different loading infusion rates of antenatal magnesium sulphate for preterm fetal neuroprotection: the IRIS randomised trial. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2014;121(5):595-603. DOI:10.1111/1471-0528.12535.
15. Doyle LW, Anderson PJ, Haslam R, Lee KJ, Crowther CA. Australasian Collaborative Trial of Magnesium Sulphate (ACTOMgSO4) Study Group. School-age outcomes of very preterm infants after antenatal treatment with magnesium sulfate vs placebo. JAMA 2014;312(11):1105-13. DOI:10.1001/jama.2014.11189.
16. Bain E, Bubner T, Ashwood P, Crowther CA, Middleton P. Implementation of a clinical practice guideline for antenatal magnesium sulphate for neuroprotection in Australia and New Zealand. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2013;53(1):86-89. DOI:10.1111/ajo.12008.
17. Han S, Crowther CA, Middleton P, Heatley E. Different types of dietary advice for women with gestational diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 3. Art. No.: CD009275. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD009275.pub2.
18. McKinlay CJD, Crowther CA, Middleton P, Harding JE. Repeat antenatal glucocorticoids for women at risk of preterm birth: A Cochrane Systematic Review. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2012;206(3):187-194. DOI:10.1016/j.ajog.2011.07.042.
Other forms of dissemination (reports for clients, technical reports, popular press) (2010-16):